An estimated two to three percent of Americans suffer from excessive sweating in the underarms, also known as hyperhidrosis. If you are amongst that percentage, the daily routine of sweating through clothing can be a struggle that negatively impacts your life. Luckily, there is finally a solution – miraDry! At Phoenix Skin Spa, we offer miraDry, an FDA approved treatment for both underarm odor and sweat reduction.

How Does miraDry Work?

During the miraDry procedure, local anesthetic is administered to the underarm area. The miraDry specialized hand piece is then applied to the underarms. It uses microwave energy to permanently destroy the sweat glands (they will not grow back or regenerate). The entire treatment will take about one hour.*

Do I Need My Sweat Glands?

A recent miraDry study revealed an 86% reduction in underarm sweating with the first miraDry treatment. Many people wonder if destroying the sweat glands will compromise the body’s ability to cool itself. The answer is no; the human body contains more than 2,000,000 sweat glands, with only about 2% residing in the underarms. The remaining 98% is sufficient to keep your body cool.

After the miraDry Treatment

You may experience some swelling or localized soreness that is normal and can be treated with over-the-counter pain relievers and ice packs. There is minimal to no downtime; however, it is recommended that exercise be avoided for five to seven days. For maximum results, two treatments spaced three months apart are recommended but in many cases, only one treatment is needed to achieve satisfaction.

Can miraDry Help with Other Areas of the Body?

Currently, miraDry is only used for underarm sweating. There are other options available for excessive sweating of the feet or palms. These options include Botox injections and aluminum chloride-based products such as Drysol and CertainDri. Please contact Phoenix Skin Spa for more details.

If you are interested in getting past the self-consciousness that comes with excessive sweating, give us a call to set up a complimentary consultation. We will discuss the various treatment options available that can help you obtain the very best results!

Read about our Medical Director Dr. Lee Laris

*Individual Results May Vary

Send Us an Email